You are here
How Much Compensation I Can Claim for a Personal Injury? Law 

How Much Compensation I Can Claim for a Personal Injury?

If you have been injured in an accident and you are thinking about making a claim, then you are probably wondering how much compensation you could be in line for.

Below, you will find out everything you need to know about financial compensation and how compensation for personal injuries is calculated.

General damages (personal injury compensation)

When it comes to making a claim for compensation, the amount of compensation you can demand from the other side depends on three key things:

  1. The nature of your injuries;
  2. The extent of your injuries;
  3. How your injuries have and will affect your life.

In addition to these things, your estimated recovery period from your injuries will also be taken into account. Generally speaking, the worse your injuries are the longer your road to recovery, the more financial compensation you can expect.

All of the above factors are taken into account when determining a fair and proportionate ‘general damages’ figure. General damages’ is the correct name for the compensation awarded for your injuries. You can claim anything from a few hundred pounds to millions of pounds for a personal injury, depending on how severe it is.

Special damages (financial loss compensation)

In addition to general damages, however, you can also claim ‘special damages’. Special damages are the compensation awarded for any financial losses related to your injuries and accident. You can claim back lost income including overtime, any lost income support or other benefits, any provable out of pocket expenses and medical and travel costs. However, to put forward a special damages claim, you have to show proof of loss.

Settlement demand

The final settlement demand that you put forward to the other side will be made up of general damages and special damages. Generally speaking, general damages account for 80 per cent of compensation while special damages account for the other 20 per cent. However, the more financial loss you have experienced, the greater the latter percentage will be. It is also important to remember that your claim for general damages has to be fair and proportionate to the extent of your injuries and how your injuries will affect your life.

How much could I claim?

As previously discussed, this depends on several factors. Unfortunately, we can’t give you an estimate here because we do not know enough about your accident. So, we recommend that you make contact with a reputable law firm and speak with a personal injury expert (lawyers on personal injuries or a claims advisor) about your accident. They will be able to give you a proper estimate because they will take the time to understand the circumstances surrounding your case, and how your injuries have affected your life.

Related posts

Leave a Comment